May 19, 2016
Guest Speaker: Christina Eggenberger
Christina works with students who are involved with service learning. She also works with the service learning component of academic courses.
The log of Service learning has steadily increased over the last 5 years.
- Yellow UMW Good notes (#umwgoodnotes) – Partnership between CHLS and Alumni Relations. Notes are written by UMW employees and are given to entering freshmen.
- Pumpkin Palooza – Trick or Treat for UMW
- Egg Hunt – Held at Brompton on the Sunday before Easter.
- Gift Box – Shoe boxes are filled by UMW employees / departments, and are given to local Head Starts.
- Variety Show – student groups sing, dance, etc. Raises money for Alternative Break (i.e. Habitat for Humanity’s build during spring break / after graduation).
- Alternative Breaks – Advisors / staff are needed for alternative trips. The trips are a lot of work – but are very rewarding.
- Pay It Forward – Encouraging members of the UMW Community to do nice things for others.
- UMW Day of Caring – Date has not been set. We are encouraged to look at the Rappahannock United Way Volunteer Center if we are looking for opportunities.
Orientation: Greta Franklin is coordinating volunteers for Orientation. Please see orientation.umw.edu for more information. We are encouraged to lend a hand.
HVAC (Facilities): We are looking into renovation of the full building which would include air conditioning in the shops. Central AC is the only really effective way to AC all areas.
$12.19 – FOAP Account
$212.00 – Foundation
$910.00 – President’s Account: Will not be allowed to transfer these funds to next year. President Paino will decide about funding the group next year.
Will need to spend $135.00 on modifying the parking sign.
John and committee members are frustrated with attendance, participation, culture. We need to be more deliberate about getting the word out about activities.
Mixer: June 29
4:00 – 7:00
Home Team Grill
Please spread the word!
Should we consider having a mixer once a month / quarter?
Atkins Award: Nominations open in August. Voting will be held in September; the awards are given out at the fall employee luncheon.
Excellent Eagle: Let Robin or Willie know about the next Excellent Eagle. John Symonds will reach out to her.
Food Drive: Boxes will be distributed in the Fall.
Three members have stepped down (Chris Carl, Bethany Friesner, Laura Needham). Their positions need to be filled.
Reach out to Les Johnson about filling the classified vacancy. If he declines, Andrea Cordray will be contacted.
Members are asked to make suggestions for the A/P positions. We will try to get members from Students Affairs and / or Alumni Relations.
The next edition of the newsletter will go out next week. Sarah is reaching out to members of the community to see if they have content to be included.
We are encouraged to participate in New Student Orientation. See orientation.umw.edu for information.
Julie spent $171.85 for water bottles and key chains from the Bookstore. We will use them to give away at our next mixer/event.
Lee Hall Operations Committee: Breaks / Break Rooms – The committee is aware of the issue, but there is nothing planned.
Year-round flex time is enthusiastically supported.