Elections 2019

Classified Employees – Vote for 6

Cartland Berge – Hurley Convergence Center

If elected to the Staff Advisory Council, I hope to…

focus on building communication between departments and strengthening the SAC’s role in advocating for empowering employees.

Kimberly McManus-Carini – Student Accounts

Having worked at the University of Mary Washington for many years, I have seen a lot of positive changes at UMW, especially the establishment of the Staff Advisory Council (SAC). If elected to the SAC, I would serve as a change-agent for the University of Mary Washington staff in matters relating to community development, professional opportunities and workplace concerns. I would also ensure open communication between the staff and the administration, enhance employee morale, and promote a sense of community and help increase levels of awareness and understanding of critical issues affecting the University staff. I would represent the needs of the staff to the senior administration and work proactively to make the University of Mary Washington an employer of choice.

Erick Hughes – IT-EAS

foster a positive and more collaborative working environment.  To act within the interest of all staff in university matters ranging from policies and procedures  to university wide activities affecting staff members.

Susan Lafayette – Office of Events

get the staff more involved with on campus activities; offer more volunteer opportunities from department to department to build team collaboration; get more involved with the community by bringing back the food drive, school supplies drive, and add the safety awareness with the UMW safety committee to the community carnival we have every year in ball circle.

Cris Lopes – Payroll

support the Staff Advisory Council’s vision and to serve my colleagues as requested.

Angie Lynch – Registrar’s Office

work with the council on developing communications throughout the University, with all levels of staff.  I’m still fairly new to UMW and would like to develop relationships throughout the University. I really enjoy working with other people and developing relationships as well as organizing functions to help build relationships and open lines of communication.

Michelle Pickham – Procurement Services

I have had the pleasure of serving on the Staff Advisory Committee for the past 3 years including co-chairing and chairing the Communications subcommittee through which I believe I have helped the committee to make great strides in widening our communication net to all staff through the SAC newsletter and other means. I helped implement the creation of and currently serve on a  subcommittee focused on recognition and would continue to work to recognize those staff employees who do excellent things at UMW and urge that that recognition be more visible to the whole campus community. I would continue to listen to my fellow staff and serve as a voice for staff representation to the administration. Being a member of the staff often-times feels like a silenced voice, but collectively the Staff Advisory Committee has made great headway in becoming an important platform for the President, his Cabinet, and the Board of Visitors to hear the opinions and input from staff. I would love to continue this opportunity to serve on the SAC and continue the great work that we’ve been doing.

Maria Schultz – Design Services

help start some conversations about what we CAN do about morale, instead of just venting about it.

Rosemarie Staggs – Department of Psychological Science

be more involved with the University in bringing inclusion throughout the community.  I feel this would be a way to give input from the perspective of an office manager to the University’s programs and services.

Shannon Walker – Facilities

give the facilities department a familiar face to voice their opinions ,concerns, and comments.

Sharon Williams – Registrar’s Office

Assistant Registrar, Registrar

continue the implementation of the summer flex schedule for the staff members in the summer and to wear jeans and UMW gear more during the summer term as approved by your Supervisor.