Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, April 16, 2015
Stafford Campus, North Building, Room 126
Cate Brewer joined us at the beginning of the meeting. She provided insight into the successes and challenges of producing Lady Windermere’s Fan. Educational theatre is always interesting; this production provided many opportunities for learning about the culture, for broadening skills, and for learning more about the art of acting.
Vickie Sullivan is the proud recipient of the tickets for the play.
Student Protest: The group held a discussion about the student protest in GW. Support for both the students and the administration was expressed.
Parking Deck: Laura Needham is gathering information about the (proposed) location of the next parking deck. She is in the process of fleshing out information that she has. The deck is planned for a spot near the heating plant. There have been suggestions to locate it on William Street. Ideas for alternate locations (i.e. near the back gate) were discussed.
Update on S.A.C. recommendations:
Smoking on Campus: All recommendations will be adopted. Michael has some questions about implementation; he will contact Rick Pearce. There are some questions about implementation; we will try to reach an acceptable resolution. The committee that brought the proposal forward will review the (draft) policy and bring recommendations back to us.
HVAC: Rick Pearce will investigate the cost and code compliance. The Fire Marshall will be consulted. We look forward to hearing about the progress of the recommendation.
Meeting with with President Hurley
- The S.A.C. will get an additional $1,000. Betsy currently manages the fund.
- President Hurley would like for the S.A.C. to sponsor additional staff mixers. The next mixer is scheduled for May 14 (4pm – 6pm) in the Underground.
- Civility: How employees treat each other is of concern. People are not treating each other with respect. There will be a conference at the ITCC that will focus on civility and social media. We should also consider: Sponsor a workshop focused on civility, followed by a mixer.
- Communication should be a focus for employees.We discussed ways to improve communication.
- Messages from Marty Morrison are effective.
- What do we want to be communicated about? Is there a ‘collection’ of topics that should be communicated to the UMW community? Suggestions include:
- Job Security
- It was suggested that we invite Anna Billingsley to meet with us.
- Compensation (In-bands, Tuition Assistance) is a high priority for him. They are a high priority – but are dependent upon revenue. Salary increases will be awarded in the summer.
- Concern for how leave (A/P Faculty) is utilized is under scrutiny.
May Mixer: May 14, 4pm – 6pm
We hope to have student musicians providing background music.
$803.87 – State Account
$230.00 – Foundation Account
Excellent Eagle employee has been selected for May. Nominations have increased.
Mixer – Caterers: $397.40 – Bartender, Cash Bar, Meatball, Egg Rolls, Vegetables, Mini-Pizza, Finger Sandwiches, Beer, Wine.
Pam Verbeck is not able to continue as co-chair of the committee.
- May 14th mixer is confirmed in the Underground from 4 pm to 6pm
- Please talk up Excellent Eagle Nominations for May. Selections will be done next week.
- Postings to EagleEye include
- the results of the Willy-Nilly Chili Cook-off,
- advertisement of the Red Cross blood drive at Stafford Campus,
- announcement of the April Excellent Eagle parking space award to Patrick Taitt,
- Announcement of the new Office Move Information form
- Worked with Shelley Keith to centralize awards nominations to one location. From the UMW homepage, click on “Faculty & Staff” in the center of the dark blue banner, which opens the new Faculty & Staff page. On the left side under “Employment Resources” click on Staff Recognition to find links to nine ways to recognize co-workers.
- There are ongoing conversations within the UFC about governance.
VP Follow-Up Items
Thank you cards were delivered. Cards will be made available at the S.A.C. meeting next week.
The Strategic Plan will include equitable salary compensation for employees. Realignment to NVA levels should be a priority; realignment is a complicated issue – and ongoing conversations are needed.. Communication – again – is important to know what is / is not happening.
Remaining budget for FY15 & possible purchases: We would like to order some “cool stuff” for S.A.C. members to distribute. Michael researched some possible options to order. There is approximately $800 to spend. We should have feedback to Michael by the close of business on Tuesday; a link to the product should be included. Current suggestions:
- Mouse pads
- Stress balls
- Water bottles
- Coffee cups
Leadership UMW: A new cohort will begin in the fall. Nominations are open until Friday.