Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes – December 2014

Staff Advisory Council Meeting
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Lee Hall, 412
1:00pm – 3:00pm

Guests

Marty Wilder – Dr. Wilder spoke from a historical perspective that UMW has faced in the past and how we can apply those lessons learned to the issues we’re facing now.

Dr. Wilder has been at UMW for 35+ years. He was working as the Director of Guidance for Stafford Schools before he came to UMW. He has seen many changes during his tenure:

  • change to coed from a women’s college,
  • separation from UVA,
  • name changes,
  • an evolution of marketing materials,
  • changes in the institution’s identity,
  • changes in leadership,
  • changes in programs (Stafford Campus / graduate programs),
  • branding

Dr. Wilder shared several documents from his archive; these materials represent the evolution of the institution’s identity.

There are still misperceptions about the institution’s identity (coed, public, etc.). President Hurley has funded marketing and admissions (CRM, change in financial aid awards / scholarship to maximize enrollment, tools to help with student searching) in an attempt to change these impressions.

Changes in buildings impact enrollment. The ITCC and the Student Center are positive additions. Changes in residential housing are needed.

There are many positive aspects that should be the focus. Student / Faculty relationships are central to the University’s identity.

Dr. Wilder encouraged us to know / use the marketing language as we talk to potential students / families.

Open Floor

The Chili Cook Off has been postponed to March.

A mixer will be planned for early spring.

Julie received a question: The Governor allocated 24 additional hours to state employees. The writer asked when / how these days will be used at UMW. It was reported that the time will be given later.

Treasurer’s Report

We have $1000 in the University account, and $230 in the Foundation account.

Committee Reports

President’s Report

President’s Report
December 2014

This report wraps up my year as Staff Advisory Council president. It has been my pleasure to be your official representative over the course of this year, and I look forward with pride to the upcoming presidency of Laura Allison. Your continued support of the Staff Advisory Council will also serve to support Laura in each function and initiative she undertakes.

The following is a recapitulation of our work.

Communication: Melina Downs has supplied the general council meetings with interesting speakers throughout the year. These speakers have informed the Council on matters of veterans services, marketing, resource allocation, and budget concerns.

Housekeeping Transportation: Paul Kay led a fact-finding group formed to investigate and suggest solutions to alleviate the problem of transporting housekeepers and their equipment around the Fredericksburg campus in an effective manner. Housekeeping supervisors had been ticketed for inappropriate parking, with the resulting friction between Housekeeping and Parking Management. As a result of his committee’s work an advisory letter was sent to Vice President Rick Pearce.

Employee relocation information: Laura Allison has led the work to create a uniform system by which employees whose work place changes either physically or virtually. Her work is a combination of elements and expansion of information systems used by Human Resources and the B.U.G. resulting in creation of a beta test platform.

Baldwin, “The Eagle Has Landed”: an S.A.C. fund-raising effort by the Activities Committee under Priscilla Sullivan’s direction, was created to enhance the funds available to us for morale raising efforts.

Faculty-Staff mixers: the three mixers this year provided the opportunity for staff and faculty who might not usually interact to get together for an hour or two. The goal is to discover how similar we all are, and perhaps to establish new links between departments.

Working with Human Resources: we continue to partner with Human Resources during the Fall Awards program and the Employee Appreciation Picnic following graduation. This year we were asked to consider an employee day off rather than the picnic. This proposal will alternate years with the picnic, and is to take effect in 2015.

Jeans Friday: S.A.C. was asked to review the non-Faculty Dress Code and to provide wording to convert the summer option of Jeans on Friday to standard policy throughout the year.

Vendor Fair: Erma Baker floated the idea of a Vendor Fair, which is set to occur in January.

Facilities Shops air conditioning: this advisory letter will act as a letter of support, seeking to provide some minimum AC to five of the shops at the Physical Plant which do not now have air conditioning.

Regards,
Les Johnson

Activities

Food / Clothing Drives are very successful. Donations will be accepted until 12/17/2014.

Baldwin will be picked up from the Foundation on 12/11/2014.

Priscilla has a notebook of wonderful resources for her successor.

Chili Cook-Off: There have been only a few participants. The event has been postponed.

Communications        

Speakers

TBD:              Jeff Rountree

Elections
N/A

VP Follow-Up Items
N/A

New Business
Jeans Policy

The change to the dress code policy was approved unanimously. A message has been sent to Rick Pearce; he will change the current policy.

Master Planning Committee                                            

Mathew has served on the Master Planning Committee; Bethany will serve on this committee.

Air Conditioning for Facilities                                          

STAFF ADVISORY COUNCIL

Recommendation concerning Air Conditioning for Physical Plant Shops

Vice President Pearce, Associate Vice President Wiltenmuth,

A concern about summer temperatures has been brought before the Staff Advisory Council, and is being forwarded for your consideration. Five shops at the Physical Plant are without air conditioning of any description. This condition makes work life more difficult than necessary on the men and women of Facilities Services. These shops are also their offices; the spaces from which they depart and to which they return in their efforts to keep this University working.

The shops in question are Grounds, Carpenter, Paint, Electric, and Plumbing. A survey of the requirements to provide air conditioning to these spaces has found that residential grade window units of 25,000 Btu capacity will be sufficient to answer the need. The cost-per-unit of the air conditioners is $600, approximately. Additionally, the labor necessary to create the AC unit opening, supply 110-vac receptacle power, and insulate any space between the opening and the unit can be accomplished for about $2,400, partially in-house. Factoring in 10% for unknown conditions, a reasonable total budget expectation is $6,000.

Staff Advisory Council adds their support to this proposal.

Regards,
A. Leslie Johnson
President, Staff Advisory Council

Question: Is this an OSHA requirement? Research will be done, and included in the information that is circulated to the committee.

Parking

Mathew Wilkerson shared some thoughts:

  • A parking deck is needed on the William Street end of campus. The Clark parking study recommends this.
  • One of the Facilities staff reported that Service Vehicle parking spaces have been removed.

Smoke Free Campus                                                        

There is a recommendation that the University become a smoke-free campus. Questions:

  • What do other institutions do?
  • Does the proposal include Eagle Village?
  • Consideration was – in the past – given to Virginia’s economy.

Suggestion: Do research before proceeding. Julie will send something out to a list-serve, Bethany Friesner and Kevin Caffrey are appointed to the subcommittee.

Retreat

January 30 – University Hall @ Stafford Campus – 8:30am – Decisions about food, goodies, etc. will be made soon.

  • Arrangements for boxed lunches have been made.
  • Members should bring something for a snack.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes – October 2014

Staff Advisory Council Meeting
Thursday, October 16, 2014
Lee Hall 412
1:00pm – 3:00pm

Guests

Paul Messplay joined us; he presented on the state of the University budget.

  • Much of our revenue is dependent upon student enrollment.
  • State funding has declined since 1993.
  • State’s goal: State will pay 66% of costs, and students will pay ~34%. Not currently meeting this.
  • Students are picking up a larger share of the cost than is provided.
  • Enrollment of out of state students has declined, and has impacted the budget.
  • Peer institutions have been aggressive in recruiting out of state students.
  • Delta between total tuition / fees: ~$13,000 per student.
  • Current shortfall – ~$4.3 million.
  • State funding cut ~$635k.
  • A look at the Budget Reductions was provided.
  • Use of Reserve Funds – one time use. Used ~$2m this year. Ongoing discussion about how to make this up.
  • Green Light program – temporary suspension.
  • Hope to have an enrollment increase – especially of out of state students. Will have to enroll 120 out of state students to make this up.
  • Tuition / Fee increase is expected next year.
  • Admissions has an Action Plan that will help to increase enrollment. There are efforts made to partner with faculty. All members of the UMW community are ambassadors.
  • UMW has looked at different models of tuition increases (i.e. guaranteeing a tuition rate to students when they enter).
  • Is fund raising at the department level encouraged / allowed? Most areas are encouraged to go to the Foundation. One of the purposes of the Foundation is to support the University; they manage the funds (investment).
  • Rental (i.e. Stafford) fees go to the General Fund. Fees can be changed by working with the appropriate VP.
  • Layoffs are not expected at this time.
  • The Governor’s budget is expected at the end of December.
  • Shortfall is a combination of the state funding reduction and enrollment decline.
  • Guidelines: no layoffs, no pay reduction, protect the instructional enterprise and student experience.
  • Growing and stabilizing enrollment top priority.
  • Instability on federal funds greatly impact the state’s budget.
  • Position freeze has been lifted this year; positions are being filled thoughtfully. There is some anxiety that this may change next year.

Open Floor

Holiday Calendar

The calendar will be published shortly.

  • Suggestion: Consider having a day off on Columbus Day (rather than in August).
  • The August day off made it difficult for some departments.
  • Under consideration: Labor Day

Vendor fair sponsorship

The S. A. C. has been approached by Erma Baker about co-sponsoring a vendor fair. Being considered: Invite offices / University vendors to show the University community what is available. Priscilla will lead this project.

Jeans’ Day

The S. A. C. has been asked to provide wording for a change in the dress code. There is interest in allowing wearing jeans on Fridays all year.

Suggestions:     Use the language from the summer dress code policy.

Allow supervisor discretion to approve / deny wearing jeans on a given day.

Should there be a limitation: Wear spirit-ware with jeans?

Homework for the next meeting: How can the guidelines be combined with spirit-wear? What guidelines can be implemented to ensure that dress is tasteful?

Tuesday’s Staff Gathering

What are the impressions of Tuesday’s gathering?

  • A lot of information was presented. Some wonder when we will see results. Radio ads have been heard. Some are seeing few instances of marketing approaches.
  • Was Tuesday “just talk”?
  • Project money is different than other money.
  • Video: Intention: connect employees to the reason that we’re here.
  • While some may not have understood everything that was shared, employees appreciated the information shared.
  • Employees who are students feel that the message from Faculty is negative.
  • We’re all ambassadors for the University. We need to continue to look at the function of offices to improve the student experience.
  • Students hear when staff complain.
  • HR is hearing a lot of concerns about the frame of mind of people at UMW; it’s at times a toxic environment.
  • Jeans Pass: Is the program being used?
  • Is there a way to beef up the WOW card program?
  • There has been a discussion about getting office managers together. There has been no forward movement on this item. Michael is going to consider getting the group together. Consider starting with the BUG group.
  • Was there positive momentum from Tuesday’s session? Can it be sustained? Should Staff / Faculty forums continue? The President and Provost are willing to continue the sessions. Suggestion: Keep the Ask the Leadership form open.
  • Foundation: What is the Foundation doing to help ‘us’?
  • Customer service training is wanted by some. Feedback that is provided that others do not want such training (money, no time, etc.).

Treasurer’s Report

We have $1000 in the University account, and $230 in the Foundation account.

Committee Reports

President’s Report

N/A

Activities

  • Baldwin – Returned from Athletics; he was wrapped in a plastic bag, and was missing a chunk of his head. Pris would like suggestions for where Baldwin should go next.
  • Parking Spaces Nominations – Nominations are needed. Send to Pris.
  • Activities Committee will meet next week to develop plans for Feed Fred, Vendor Fair, Chili Cook-Off, next Mixer.

Communications        

Speakers

October:         Paul Messplay – Budget.

November:      Shelley Keith: Digital Communications

December:      Marty Wilder – Historical perspective: Events that were significant turning points on the operation of the University.

TBD:              Jeff Rountree

Elections

Changes to the Constitution have been approved. After the S. A. C. election, the council will have:

  • o   AP – 9
  • o   CL – 12
  • o   WA – 2
  • o   Total – 23

Paper nomination forms and ballots have be taken to JMM, Facilities, Belmont.

  • o   Nominations open: Tuesday, Oct. 14
  • o   Nominations close: Monday, Oct. 27
  • o   Confirm candidates: Wednesday, Oct. 29 – Thursday, Oct. 30
  • o   Finalize the ballot: Friday, Oct. 31 & Monday, Nov. 3
  • o   Election opens: Tuesday, Nov. 4
  • o   Election closes: Monday, Nov. 17
  • o   Confirm election results: Tuesday, Nov. 18
  • o   Announce election results to the candidates: Wednesday, Nov. 19
  • o   Announce the results in Eagle Eye: Thursday, Nov. 20

VP Follow-Up Items

N/A

Other

Les and Laura are meeting with the President tomorrow afternoon. Share with them questions and / or information that we would like to ask of the President.

Survey: Overall impressions, Comments. Effective – why, Effective – why not?

Health Issues: Should an alert be sent out? We don’t want to worry employees, but perhaps they can be better informed. Flu shots are still available.

New Business

Retreat

Save the Date:   Retreat: January 30 – University Hall @ Stafford Campus

What do we want to do at the session?

  • Orietation of new members
  • Roberts Rules of Order
  • If we are going to invite Cabinet members, invite them now.
  • Consider: Invite Admissions.

Lunch will be provided.  Breakfast will be ‘pot-luck’.

Posted in Meeting, Minutes | Leave a comment

Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes – September 2014

Staff Advisory Council
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Lee Hall 412
1:00pm – 3:00pm

Guests

Terri Lockhart, Employee Relations Manager, attended the meeting.

Malcolm Holmes, Director of Marketing, spoke to the Staff Advisory Committee members. He distributed copies of the Brand Platform and Media Plan. It will be presented to University leadership over the next few weeks.

Mr. Holmes described:

  • The designated words / phrases that describe the University, Students, Faculty, Graduates, etc..
  • Elements of the Marketing Plan.
  • Creative Execution elements of the plan.
  • How the plan / materials will be refreshed.

Open Floor

Housekeeping / Parking issues: A question was asked about the status of parking issues and Housekeeping staff. A letter was sent to Rick Pearce; he has taken the issue under advisement. Les will ask Rick about progress that can be reported to the S.A.C. so that members may direct employees who are asking appropriately.

Forum – Allocation Resource Study: Bethany attended the Forum regarding the Allocation Resource Study on Friday. Much of the meeting was focused on the budget. The budget reduction plan is due to Richmond on Friday.   Four additional sessions are planned for late September and early October. The group was advised that we should be aware of the situation as we move forward. Bethany is concerned that President Hurley and the Cabinet are not in touch with the situation on campus. While President Hurley stated that there will be no lay-offs, though some Cabinet members may cut positions in their areas. S. A. C. members should direct employees to their supervisor / Cabinet member if they have concerns about their position.

President Hurley will be making a report at the “fall event”. He is open to receiving suggestions for talking points. A suggestion for combining the Fall Event with the last Forum; this will be considered.

Budget Advisory Committee: Laura attended the Budget Advisory Committee meeting this week. Some budget modifications have been made. Preparations for a 5% and 7% cuts are being made; actual cuts may be smaller (2.6%).

Treasurer’s Report

We have $1000 in the University account, and $230.00 in the Foundation account.

Committee Reports

President’s Report

Leadership Council Meeting – Broad, general discussion about budget cuts. The group discussed ways to implement a 5% – 7% cut. The group was advised that Alumni are being kept up to date on the financial state.

Employees are concerned about how budget cuts are going to impact jobs. Will salaries be affected? Are programs going to be impacted? Staff reductions are being met with resignations.

How can the S.A.C. help members of the UMW community to understand the status and impact? All are encouraged to attend one of the Allocation Task Force forums. Some offices are planning on how to reduce expenditures. Should we invite someone to speak to the S.A.C. about the status?

The Student Center should open in the summer of 2015. Sodexho will be providing meals from that site beginning next fall.
An addition is planned for Jepson. The request is in the planning stages now.

Activities

The Activities Report was presented by Dre Anthes.

 

Food Drive

The Food drive was successful. 12 boxes and 4 bags of food was distributed (including 800 boxes of cereal).

School Supplies

This drive was successful. Additional supplies are being sent soon.

Baldwin

Baldwin is now with Ken Tyler. Lynne Richardson helped Baldwin acquire a copy of the Washington Post.

Chili Cook-Off

Plans are being considered for a Chili Cook-Off.

Mixer

Next mixer: Wednesday, October 1, 5pm – 7pm. Happy hour prices as have been offered in the past – 3-6:00 p.m. half-price draft beer, house wine and liquor, and half-price wings all evening. Location: Home Team Grill.

Communications        

Speakers

September:     Malcolm Holmes – Marketing

October:         Paul Messplay – Budget

November:      Shelley Keith: Digital Communications

December:      Marty Wilder – Historical perspective: Events that were significant turning points on the operation of the University.

Elections

The elections committee finds that it has become more and more difficult to find enough members to serve. It is being recommended that the S. A. C. downsize. It is suggested that membership be modified to 12 Administrative Faculty, 15 Classified, and 3 Wage representatives.

Bethany made a motion to approve the proposed changes as defined in the Elections Committee handout (see below). The motion was seconded and discussed.

A friendly amendment was accepted: The modified proposal will be sent to the full membership electronically; if approved, it will be submitted to President Hurley for approval. Clarification from the by-laws will be included. Members will be asked to vote electronically.

The motion was approved.

VP Follow-Up Items

N/A

New Business

Parking: Chief Hall commented that concerns about Faculty / Staff parking in the community are made regularly. He expects that there will be an effort to change this in the near future.

There is a rumor going around that Faculty / Staff will be charged for parking during the next cycle. Other Universities have parking fees. There has been no decision made.

Concerns expressed:

  • Students have been observed parking in Fac-Staff areas.
  • A former employee was allowed to renew her parking decal.
  • Faculty are registering students’ cars under their account.

Erma Baker and Robin Jones will attend the November S.A.C. meeting. S.A.C. members should send questions to Pam prior to the meeting.

  • Are decals being collected from employees who leave the University?

CURRENT WORDING IN THE CONSTITUTION REGARDING THE NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES FROM THE WAGE, FACULTY, AND ADMINISTRATIVE CLASSIFICATIONS

2.3.1 Voting Membership

Membership of the Staff Advisory Council shall consist of thirty proportionately elected representatives by the university community. In an attempt to provide a balanced and reasonable outlet for all constituents within the University to be heard, ten members shall be elected each year from among the University’s three classifications based on the total population of each classification (12 Administrative Faculty, 15 Classified, and 3 Wage).

We promote and value the understanding that we are not defined by our employment category but rather by individual talents and values. Therefore, staff representatives shall be charged with speaking to the needs and concerns of all staff, classified, and administrative employees throughout the university, regardless of division or classification.

2.5 Length of Term and Term Limits

Each member shall serve a three-year term beginning January 1. In order to ensure continuity, terms shall be staggered annually with ten representatives being elected each year. At any one moment there will be three wage, fifteen classified, and twelve administrative faculty representatives. There are no term limits.

PROPOSED CHANGES

2.3.1 Voting Membership

Membership of the Staff Advisory Council shall consist of thirty twenty-three proportionately elected representatives by from the university community. In an attempt to provide a balanced and reasonable outlet for all constituents within the University to be heard, ten new members shall be elected each year from among the University’s three classifications based on the total population of each classification as needed to ensure the S.A.C. is comprised of nine Administrative Faculty, twelve Classified, and two Wage personnel (12 Administrative Faculty, 15 Classified, and 3 Wage).

We promote and value the understanding that we are not defined by our employment category but rather by individual talents and values. Therefore, staff representatives shall be charged with speaking to the needs and concerns of all staff, classified, and administrative employees throughout the university, regardless of division or classification.

2.5 Length of Term and Term Limits

Each member shall serve a three-year term beginning January 1. New members are elected as needed each year to fill vacancies so that the S.A.C. consists of nine Administrative Faculty, twelve Classified, and two Wage personnel. In order to ensure continuity, terms shall be staggered annually with ten representatives being elected each year. At any one moment there will be three wage, fifteen classified, and twelve administrative faculty representatives. There are no term limits.

Posted in Meeting, Minutes | 2 Comments

Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes – July 2014

Thursday, July 17, 2014
Lee Hall, Room 412
1:00pm – 3:00pm

Open Floor

Employee Appreciation Event: President Hurley has asked about what employees would think about having a day off, rather than having an employee appreciation day picnic.

Pam Verbeck moved:    Recommend approval of closing the University on the Monday after graduation Priscilla seconded the motion.

Amended motionRecommend approval of closing the University on the Monday after graduation in 2015 in lieu of the picnic; thereafter, we could alternate between closure of the University and a picnic.

There will be an option to review annually. The amendment was seconded by Julie. Pam Verbeck asked for an amendment.

Discussion:  Wage employees do not get paid if they’re not at work. Wage employees could adjust their schedule.

Virginia Public Servant week – We may consider having volleyball during this week.

Awards will move to the fall program. Awardees from the Fall will be nominated for the State awards.

We have a survey that shows how attendees feel about the event. Results were mixed.

Parking:  A representative from the Police department planned to join us to discuss a parking issue. He will be invited to next month’s meeting.

There seems to be a lack of communication between the Police and Parking Management.

KronosAn automated time keeping system is being implemented. Names for the system will be solicited.

MotionA motion to table reports was made so that we can focus on the Orientation.

New Business

Orientation for S. A. C. Members: See the presentation for details.

Posted in Meeting, Minutes | Leave a comment

August Meeting Cancelled

The August 14 meeting is cancelled.

 

Posted in Announcement | Leave a comment

Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes – May 2014

Staff Advisory Council Meeting
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Lee Hall, Room 412
1:00pm – 3pm

Guests

Dr. Leah Cox (Special Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion) addressed the group about her role as an Ombudsperson for the University. Members of the University Community may bring a confidential complaint to Dr. Cox for assistance in resolving an issue. There are many avenues that may be taken in the process. She is not able to change policies, or to force people to do something illegal or against policy.

She is contacted approximately 3 times per month. Some issues are easy to resolve, while others take longer. She feels that her experience as a counselor helps greatly.

Priscilla Sullivan distributed copies of the Defining a Staff Advisory Council Topic of Discussion. The document was reviewed.

Dr. Cox recommends that we contact her if her assistance is needed.

Open Floor

  • Update: Housekeeping / Parking Issues to be discussed during the General meeting. The Executive committee is unsure what has been done through appropriate channels. Concerns:

o   Stipend for employees who use their vehicle.

o   Has parking been approached?

o   Is there a vehicle available?

o   What is the supervisor’s position?

A recommendation to the Housekeeping Supervisor and the President for an additional van was made. The supervisor(s) are not opposed to getting a van – but an official request has not been made.

The loss of the stipend is not an issue of concern.

Additional parking spots are no longer being requested.

Multiple options were explored. The sub-committee feels that the van is the best solution.

The Finance Office advises that the stipends will be terminated if a van is provided.

Bethany moved:

Write a letter to Rick P advising him of the issue of transportation for the housekeepers so that they will be able to do their job effectively.

Discussion

The letter should include a summary of the work that has been done up to this point.

The motion passed unanimously.

Treasurer’s Report

We currently have $.32. We also have $85 in a Foundation account.

Committee Reports

President’s Report

  • See below.

Activities

  • Spirit Friday was announced at the Employee Appreciation Day picnic. Casual Friday / Spirit Friday applies to non-teaching Faculty for the summer. The casual dress / Spirit Friday practice should be put it into a policy. Sabrina will talk with Rick about moving forward with a policy.
  • A form will be used to standardize communication with members of the UMW community.
  • Information about the Atkins Award Winners will be put in Eagle Eye and on the S.A.C. website.
  • The next Excellent Eagle employee has been named.
  • Eagle has Landed: Rita Dunston has Baldwin. Sabrina has received feedback perhaps we should not ask for donations. Suggestion: Change the verbiage to ‘Donations are welcome.’ Priscilla will tweak the wording on the form.
  • Faculty / Staff Mixer – The S. A. C. will partner with the Orientation team for the mixer at the end of the Orientation.
  • The plaque in GW listing Larry Atkins awardees has not been updated since 2012. Priscilla will collect the information (names and pricing) to bring the board current.
  • Virginia Awards are due soon. Priscilla and Sabrina will follow up to determine when the nominations are due. Priscilla will submit the nominations to Jennifer Cooper.

Communications

N/A

Elections

N/A

VP Follow-Up Items

Laura will follow up with Sabrina about the online move form.

New Business

  1. The council has been encouraged to consider food/supply collection for the SPCA during times that we aren’t collecting for people. Although there is not a ton of information right now, the idea is that during the months that we are not collecting food for people, we could support the efforts of the local SPCAs to help animals in need.

The local SPCA / Animal Shelters are in need of food / supplies. They are moving to ‘no-kill’ shelters and need additional supplies. Michael will work with the person who suggested the idea and develop a plan to be presented at the June full council meeting.

  1. Policy changes are – at times – better received if suggestions for policy changes come from a collective body.
  1. The President-elect sits on the University Budget Advisory Committee. The suggestion is that the Vice-President participates in these meetings. Mathew will follow up on this.
  1. S. A. C. New Member Orientation – There should be a new-member orientation. Sabrina has a packet of information that was given out in previous years.
  1. Employee Moves – Anika Wilson is responsible for collecting and communicating information about campus moves. The Cabinet has designated representatives to share information with Anika. It is currently unclear on who will get the message(s); Sabrina will follow up to find out this information.
  1. A question about policies relating to those who come in to work when the University is closed was asked. UMW follows the DHRM policy. Sabrina will share specific information about the policy.

Here are the state policies that cover compensation for employees who are required to work when the university is closed. Again this is separate from the university’s snow removal compensation policy. Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/hrpolicy/web/pol1_35.html    ( emergency closings)

http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/hrpolicy/web/pol4_25.pdf  ( holidays)

  1. Mathew and Priscilla will work up a “quick vote” format for email voting.
  1. A form that standardized communications between the S. A. C. and others has been developed.

S. A. C. President’s report
May 2014

S.A.C. Mixer

The Faculty-Staff mixer at Sunken Well Tavern appears to continue the good spirit of the kick-off event in March. Jane and I were there for the first 45 minutes or so, and were pleased to have the crowd grow to about a dozen before we left.

Dr. Searcy has requested information on the next mixer, as he hopes to advertise it more thoroughly among his staff.

The event was shadowed by worldly events, ‘though. Several people including President and Mrs. Hurley sent regrets as they attended the wake for Bob Erickson, a graduating senior who died quite suddenly just prior to graduation.

UBAC

The University Budget Advisory Council has posted all their year-long work on the University Faculty Council website. There you can see the effort and result of another committee dedicated to the health of this university. http://ufc.umw.edu/committees/university-budget-advisory-committee/minutes-reports-of-budget-advisory-committee/

Employee Appreciation Picnic

Your Staff Advisory Council was able to assist UMW Human Resources in another successful post-Commencement picnic celebrating the contributions of all the UMW staff. This year’s Larry Atkins award winners are Susan Worrell, Erika Spivey, and Melina Downs. Be sure to congratulate them on the recognition of their special contributions.

Respectfully submitted,

Les Johnson

Posted in Meeting, Minutes | Leave a comment

Staff Advisory Council Meeting Minutes – April 2014

Staff Advisory Council – General Meeting
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Stafford Campus, North Building, Room 127
1:00pm – 3pm

Open Floor

Report:  Housekeeping / Parking Issues

Please read the Housekeepers FFG. After discussion, it was found that more specific information was needed before a recommendation could be made. The Fact Finding Group should go back and ask more specific information, for example: how many tickets have the staff received, how many emergency situations happen a month, did they request the designated parking spot, what is the protocol with Parking Management, etc.

The SAC shouldn’t step into a supervisor/employee situation.

There is concern that the Ombudsman is not being used as option.

Standardized Font: Bethany brought to the Executive Board the article regarding changing your default font to Garamond to save money. Bethany encourages all SAC members to change their default font for non-official correspondence.

April the 24th at 5pm, Sunken Well is the next mixer.

Treasurer’s Report

$303.52 remains in the S. A. C. budget.  $300 is earmarked for the Larry Atkins awards

Committee Reports

President’s Report

See below.

Activities

The Eagle Has Landed initiative has taken off. We have received $55 in donations.

A suggestion having year round spirit Fridays where employees can wear UMW gear on Fridays. Possibly a pilot program in the summer.

Larry Atkins awards are coming in; today is the deadline.

May 12th the SAC will have a table at the Employee Appreciation Luncheon

Communications

There is a possibility of the Communications committee taking over finding guest speakers for the SAC meetings. The committee thought it was a good idea, so from now on the Communications committee will be responsible for finding guest speakers.

Elections

The individual who was approached to fill the vacant classified spot declined. The next person in line has been approached.

VP Follow-Up Items

A little movement has been made regarding the employee move work flow (similar to a Facilities work order). Sabrina has brought it back to Rick Pearce’s attention, and she should be able to provide an update at the next full council meeting.

New Business

None to note.

S. A. C. President’s report
April 2014

Meeting with President Hurley

Vice President Laura Allison and I met with President Hurley in a continuation of the informal meetings begun by S.A.C. President Charles Tate. Laura and I spent a bit more than an hour with President Hurley, chatting about topics including his commitment to the improvement of the UMW image, fund raising efforts, and institution of formal alumni associations.

We talked about the revitalization of the Stafford campus, particularly as it relates to the Nursing Completion program and the National Security degree program, both of which will begin with the Fall semester. Stafford campus is an excellent location for both programs given the classroom availability and the superior parking.

Internal Customer Service, and improving the notification system for internal relocation, continue to be areas of interest for President Hurley. He wants to know when there are breakdowns in the process, and how they are addressed. In that regard, the social aspects of the S.A.C. were applauded. The kick-off of the S.A.C. mixer at Home Team Grill was a delight to both President and Mrs. Hurley, and they look forward to our next mixer at the Sunken Well  (corner of Sunken Road and Hanover Streets).

President Hurley is concerned that his connection to the day-to-day activities of the University is being eroded by the travel schedule that his office demands. He is the ambassador, the public face, of UMW. As such it is his job to promote UMW among his peer institutions, to the General Assembly, and among the alumni however distantly scattered. He views these informal meetings as a way to stay connected in a meaningful, less filtered, way.

UBAC

The University Budget Advisory Council has completed the task of information gathering about increases to the annual budget. They have prioritized the budget requests and are in the process of readying a presentation to the University Faculty Council.

Hyatt ribbon cutting

As President of the Staff Advisory Council I received an invitation to the ribbon cutting for the Hyatt Place Fredericksburg-Mary Washington. That event was last Friday evening beginning at 6:30 pm. Following presentations from officers of the University of Mary Washington Foundation, the City of Fredericksburg, and Hyatt Hotels and Resorts, the assembled guests were treated to self-guided tours of the first- and second-floor amenities. The exercise spaces, restaurant, meeting rooms, courtyard and guest accommodations were all impressive.

Respectfully submitted,
Les Johnson

CONCLUSION FROM FACT FINDING GROUP REGARDING
HOUSEKEEPING PARKING/CAMPUS MOBILITY CONCERNS.
APRIL 2014

The subject of this report: The three daytime crews that attend to the cleaning of dorms have an issue with traveling from the housekeeping trailer (adjacent to the heating plant) to their different buildings on campus throughout their work day.

After conducting several interviews and gathering information from parties concerned, the Fact Finding Group (FFG) has reached a conclusion regarding the situation with the housekeeping staff (daytime shift).

A number of solutions were brought up to the FFG.

  1.  Increase the number of parking spaces available for housekeeping.
  2.  Reorganize the buildings allotted to the crews so they are closer together.
  3.  Provide golf carts as a means of transportation for the crews.
  4.  Provide vans to the housekeeping staff for their use.

Although solution #1 was the original quick-fix to this problem, it is now accepted that this is not practical.  Parking is already at a premium and there would have to be enough spaces provided for all the crew members.

Even though solution #2 would help with some distance factors, it is not the final answer. As an aside, housekeeping supervision is in the process of organizing the crews into a more efficient distribution of assigned buildings.

The FFG has concluded that either #3 or #4 would be the best possible solutions.

Golf carts have the mobility to transport the crews to and from their destinations and parking would not be limited to vehicle parking spaces only.  Cost would not be as high as a vehicle.  Recharging stations could be installed adjacent to the housekeepers’ trailer.

Vans, as stated in solution #4 is another viable answer to the problem. A van for each of the three crews would: (1) Accommodate the crew personnel and necessary supplies to travel from office and building to building.  (2) They would be able to park in available spaces. (3) The vans would allow for more efficient use of the working day by limiting walking the campus and not expending the staff’s energy where when they reach their buildings where they sometimes climb up to 5 stories to clean.

Although purchasing three vans for housekeeping may be cost prohibitive, one ten person van with a driver could possibly be rotated to suit the needs of the three crews.

As presented, the solution to the parking/mobility problem for the housekeeping staff is not one that will be most eagerly accepted, but is necessary to bring the University up to standard with the other departments and divisions on campus and eliminate the nomadic walks of staff from building to building and to respect these hard working housekeepers., The Staff Advisory Council should recommend that UMW provide transportation in the form of either golf carts or vans for the housekeeping staff.

Respectfully submitted by:

Vicki Sullivan
Barry Buchannan
Paul Kay

 

Posted in Meeting, Minutes | Leave a comment

VGEA

Have you ever heard of the VGEA? The Virginia Government Employee Association is a non-profit association with thousands of active members throughout the Commonwealth working to protect the interests of the Commonwealth’s employees and retirees and to ensure that their needs are addressed. Check out more on their website: www.vgea.org.

Posted in Announcement | 1 Comment

Leadership UMW

If you’re a full-time member of the UMW community looking for an adventure which will lead to practical working experience, apply for membership in the inaugural cohort for Leadership UMW. Here is an opportunity to improve your leadership skills while learning more about university operations from a business as well as an academic standpoint.

There is a commitment of two or three hours per month outside of your normal working schedule, and you must have at least two years of full time service here to apply. Meet those criteria? Now is the time to act!

Visit http://adminfinance.umw.edu/hr/employee-development-program-2/leadership-umw/ for more information and the online application.

Posted in Announcement | Tagged | 2 Comments

Sharepoint Community Page

Staff Advisory Council Sharepoint Community PageGet the latest Staff Advisory Council news and announcements on our Sharepoint Community Page. You will need to login using your UMW username and password to access the page.

Posted in Announcement | Leave a comment